Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Chandan is an Early Stage Researcher at University of Minho (Guimaraes, Portugal) since October 2014. He obtained his Bachelor degree (Civil Engineering) from Visvesvaraya Technological University (Mangalore, India) in 2012 and his Master degree in Structural Analysis of Monuments and Historical Constructions from University of Minho (Guimaraes, Portugal) and Technical University of Catalonia (Barcelona, Spain) in 2014. His present research deals with NSM torsional strengthening of thin walled tubular RC structures.
Recent activities and achievements
Project title: Use of NSM FRP for torsional strengthening of thin walled tubular RC structures
The objective of the research is to develop innovative strengthening techniques to strengthen the thin walled tubular reinforced concrete structures subjected to torsion. The influence of other parameters is also studied, namely:
- Ratio of existing internal longitudinal steel reinforcement
- Interaction between the longitudinal steel bars and FRP laminates
- Spacing between external NSM laminates
- Effect of longitudinal and transverse reinforcement
- Thickness of adhesive layer and its properties
- Concrete strength class
- Different combination of strengthening techniques
Tasks and methodology: The first part of the research involves numerical analysis of beams with the finite element method and the second part deals with the experimental investigation. Advanced 3D smeared crack model is used for the numerical simulations in GiD using FEMIX computer code as the processor. Possibilities of using pre-stress for the FRP laminates will also be explored.
• Increase in the torsional moment carrying capacity of the reinforced concrete structure;
• Effective utilization of the FRP materials