Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mohammad graduated in 2013 from Amir kabir University of Technology (Tehran polytechnic), Tehran, Iran. His Master's dissertation topic was "Seismic evaluation of moment-resisting frames made of cold-formed steel members". He has done some experimental tests in his master degree to investigate lateral performance of both cold-formed steel strap-braced wall frames and moment resisting frames. He has teaching experience in some courses and software such as "Strength of material", "linear and non-linear analysis of structures", "Structural dynamic", also "Abaqus" and "OpenSees" software as a teacher assistant. Meanwhile, he was working in a consultant company as a design engineer in the field of structures, designing and analysing the various structures and doing seismic hazard studies. Mohammad joined the Concrete and Earthquake Engineering (CEE) Group in February 2016.
Recent activities and achievements
Project title: The behaviour and capacity of cold-formed steel frames under seismic loading
- Behaviour and design of cold-formed steel seismic-resisting systems
- Investigate seismic analysis of multi-story moment-resisting frames made of cold-formed steel members.
- performance-based optimization of cold-formed steel moment resisting frames
- Experimental tests on the moment-resisting frames with different column and beam profiles.
Tasks and methodology: This research is separated in two main areas which are:
- Numerical modelling methods - At the first stage, a portal moment-resisting frame is employed to achieve failure modes, lateral load capacity, ductility, and energy absorption. Following, seismic analysis of multi-story frames will be conducted, and some important parameters like response modification factor would be determined.
- Experimental tests - there is a need to do experimental tests on the moment-resisting frames, and investigate various influencing parameters such as column and beam profile on the lateral response of the frames.
It is evident that the most important issue of cold-formed steel structures is local and global buckling of the members. So, it should be expected to see some failures and even crippling damages. In addition, unlike strap braced wall frame moment-resisting frame provide more ductile behaviour and response modification factor.
Supervisor: Dr Iman Hajirasouliha