Fibres are used to improve the flexural toughness and ductility of concrete. Fibre-reinforced concrete (FRC) increases speed of construction and may even eliminate the need for conventional reinforcement. FRC is used in a range of specialised applications, such as pavements and thin precast elements.
Current Research Topics:
- Optimisation of fibre sorting, mixing and casting methods
- Experimental and analytical investigation of the structural performance of FRC
- Short and long-term behaviour of FRC under extreme/aggressive environments (freeze-thaw, fire)
- Development of innovative FRC products
- Development of analysis and design tools